Saturday, April 01, 2006

Ragdolls: The non shedding cat?

If you're thinking of buying a ragdoll you may have read up a little bit about their lovely demeanor or their gigantic size...

You may have also read that they are a 'non-shedding' breed. Well... This, my lovely reader friend, is what you call a 'relativistic term'. They must ALL be referring to non-shedding when compared to a Himalayan or perhaps a Persian, because they SHED A LOT!

My wife and I bought into this non-shedding thing completely, but just take a look around our house and you'll find little pieces of micio and byco rolling in the breeze like tumbleweeds. Our new duvet cover is a magnet for cat hair and I am frequently awoken by a tickling in my nose from hair I have inhaled off of it...

Don't get me wrong... We LOVE our 'Little' ragdolls, but just don't buy them because they're 'non-shedding'. And if you do buy one, Costco has a great deal on lint rollers. :)


P.S. Another thing you may have read is that they are 'non-matting'. This is pretty much true for such a long haired cat... I have read terrible stories about the other long hair breeds and we are definitely more fortunate than that. If you comb them at least once per week you shouldn't have any issues.

6 comments:

Tia Raina said...

I think they all shed!Had adopted a couple of street-cats...short-haired..even they shed!

Jason Sparks said...

I know... I think it's a conspiracy :)

But you gotta love the little guys anyway...

JustSpiffy said...

I have two lovely ragdolls also, and one sheds more than the other, but they both shed. At least they enjoy being brushed so that I can keep it to a minimum.

Jason Sparks said...

after we had our boy we started falling woefully behind on cat maintenance :(

Kersten said...

We were told ragdolls don't shed. We bought ours at 12 weeks right before Christmas, no shedding!! We were so excited. Then spring hit and wow. I think she lost 10 pounds in fur. She has never stopped shedding since. I'm ready to give her a lion cut.

Jason Sparks said...

hahah.... yeah we bought a set of clippers and give ours a trim in the summer.

We also just bought this thing: The FURminator

Too early to say if it is really helping with the shedding, but WOW it does remove a lot of hair.

 

KFAR - Your Electronics Super-Store